Saturday, February 23, 2008

Jesus Walks

Nope, this isn't about an old Kanye West song.

When I was in Utah, I was reading The Voice of Luke: Not Even Sandals by Brian McLaren. It is essentially the Gospel of Luke with a lot of artistic freedom. I found it to be a really useful tool in studying Luke.

Anyway, while reading it, I had a small epiphany.

In Jesus' culture, a culture where people walked everywhere, it was easier to encounter people in passing than it is for us, who drive our windows-up cars and open our garages without getting out, etc.

In Jesus' day, he sent his disciples out on foot. Not only that, they weren't even allowed to take anything. He tells them not to take a bag or food or money--not even sandals--when they go.

That way, the have to talk to the people they come across.

I don't know how this should affect the way we live. Maybe it just means we should slow down, or say hi to every driver we pass on the freeway (which would be quite annoying for our passengers, and go unnoticed by the other drivers).

In any case, it's an interesting thought.

No comments: