Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hammock

I found out about this band called Hammock. They are an ambient ("shoegaze" is the real genre) band. The guy who wrote "God of Wonders" is one of the two guys in the band.

They are fans of Sigur Ros and Jonsi from Sigur Ros is a huge fan of theirs. So they are good.

And they are Christians. There is a new movement called "post-worship," which is based on "post-hardcore"/"post-rock" music used in church/worship settings.

I read about it in Christianity Today. It was in the actual magazine, and I can't find a link on their site to the story.

I think this is a good idea. Instead of trying to infuse congregational songs with ambient and atmospheric textures, make the congregational songs pop-y. It's easier to sing to. That's why it's called pop music. It's popular.

Then do some instrumental stuff in times of silent reflection. That's what we've been doing lately during Lent in our services. I hope we can work it in occasionally throughout the year.

I think it makes more sense than trying to be all emo in your worship leading.

No comments: