Thursday, August 06, 2009

Birthday stuff

Tonight I wrote thank you cards for my birthday presents. I wasn't planning on getting much for my birthday, being an adult, and all. But, I got some cool stuff. I used to feel weird sharing what I've received. But now I realize that saying "I got something as a gift" has little to no reflection on who I am, but speaks volumes about the generosity of those around me, and so it is well-worth talking about.

I asked my siblings to buy me a guitar pedal that I'd been wanting for a few years. It was on sale from over $100 to just $50. So, I got my first new guitar thing in 3 or 4 years.

People in my family also bought us a new grill. They had asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I sarcastically said "a grill, but there's no way you guys are going to buy me that." But they did. The family got together and got it for me.



It is pretty similar to the one in the picture above.

Oh yeah, we also were given a new mattress for my birthday. Crazy.

Well, we got money, and today we went and bought it. They're delivering it tomorrow afternoon. I don't get to sleep on it tomorrow night, though, because Julie and Lauren are hosting a youth group girls' night at my apartment, so I'm kicked out.

Hopefully no teenagers sleep on the bed before me.

Our old bed is a hand-me-down that was Julie's grandparents at one point. I'm sure it's 20 or 30 years old. A spring mattress is meant to last under 10 years usually. I'm looking forward to a healthier body.

Today we had to do some rearranging of our guest room/office so that we can put our old bed in here. It's going to be a tight fit, but hopefully it will work.

And, Julie took me whitewater rafting as a present. And, I bought a computer for myself.

Wow that is a lot of stuff.

God, help me to use this stuff for your Kingdom and not to become a slave to my things. It's a risk to have nice stuff. Materialism lays in wait. Keep me from its trappings.

No comments: