Sunday, May 21, 2006

MySpace blog: Bourbon Street

Today I was struck by the concept of imago dei once more.

We took our Sunday to visit downtown New Orleans and spent most of our time in the French Quarter. We drove past the Superdome on the way over--they are rebuilding the roof right now.

When we got to the French Quarter (New Orleans' famous/infamous downtown commercial waterfront district) we couldnt find a place to park and ended up driving down Bourbon Street. When we were here in February, we wanted to visit the ill-reputed street, but were unable to, due to one professor's objections.

Today, we planned on walking the street, but ended up not doing so, because of what we saw during our drive.

The myriad bars were accompanied by a spattering of adult-oriented "places of entertainment."

As we traveled East, we were listening to Charlie Halls new song "Center." It says:

"Christ, be the center of our lives
Be the place we fix our eyes
Be the center of our lives.

"You're the center of the universe
Everything was made for you,
Breath of every living thing,
Everyone was made in you
You hold everything together
You hold everything together.

"We lift our eyes to heaven
We wrap our eyes around your light
We lift our eyes to heaven
To You."

As the words rang out through the otherwise silent van, I couldn't help but be heartbroken for the people who worked in and patronized Bourbon Street's establishments.

We were listening to the live version of the song, which ends with "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus." Just as we left the narrow road (that reminds me of Jesus' description of the wide, crooked path), those words came on. I want to see God work in a mighty way on that street and in this city.

When we finally parked, we sang the hymn "I Stand Amazed (How Marvelous)," which is also on the new passion CD and is a song that enamored us to Christ so much during training week.

During Conquest a few weeks ago, I discovered a verse that is changing my life. It has become my prayer. And I desire for it to ring even truer today, in the places we drove.

Lord, I have heard of your fame;
I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord.
Renew them in our day,
In our time make them known;
In wrath, remember mercy.

Habakkuk 3:2

No comments: