Tuesday, May 23, 2006

MySpace blog: I probably have crap particles in my hair

Well, we just finished our first day of work that involved house gutting. It's frigid hot! (frigid is the adjective that a few of my friends use for heat-related adjective amplification).

This morning, we went to the home of a lady named Tequilla. Tequilla grew up in the 9th ward, and ended up owning a building where she was establishing a beauty college. She is a strong Christian lady who is now selling the building to Pastor Willy (who is our contact here) so that he can have a building for his church and ministry center.

So today, we helped her out by helping her repair one of her homes (she bought a really nice house (eight bedrooms!) last year, 3 weeks before the hurricane hit. It was the first time I'd helped re-build anything involved with Katrina. When we got there, we saw the house 2 doors down being busted by DEA agents and local police. Apparently Tequilla's house had been owned for a few months last year by a drug dealer, but he has since changed his ways. So, that was exciting.

I also got to throw trash directly into a garbage truck (a first time experience), because it stopped at her house right as we were taking the trash to the curb.

After we worked at Tequilla's house, we went to the home of a man named Wally. Wally wasn't home, but we were finishing gutting his home. We're going back there tomorrow morning. All we had to do in the actual house was scraping up the floor. It was difficult, and it is really hot. I sweated profusely.

Right now I'm waiting for the rest of the team to get back (half of us are here at the church, and the other half are at Wal-Mart). I can't shower because the guys' shower is in the actual church building, and we're in the "annex" next door. Unfortunately, the key for the Church building went to the store with the rest of our team. I've been back at the church for probably an hour and a half, just sitting in my own filth, remembering my discovery about how much sewage back-up there has been here. Since everything we were working with today was mostly dust, I most likely have human feces in my hair.

The end.

Special notes:

1) happy 25th anniversary to my parents, if you read this!

2) I ate alligator at lunch on Sunday

3) we made a movie last night. Check it out at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6379531492993201225

No comments: