I really enjoyed the inauguration and surrounding festivities. Here are a few personal highlights:
1. Rick Warren praying what he believed, but also verbally expressing why he prayed in Jesus' name during the prayer, and being very tactful in his treatment of faith & politics while still being true to the gospel of Jesus.
1a. Rick Warren taking Billy Graham's mantle as the pastor to the presidents and most influential pastor of our day.
2. Obama coming across as much more presidential than he had before.
3. Obama not being the perfect orator. I think his best line was one that he had a small mistake in.
4. The Obamas first dance when Beyonce was singing and was crying by the end. That was pretty amazing to see one of the world's most well-known singers breaking down during a performance. If you missed it, make sure to watch it. It was pretty moving. I bet that link will be taken down from YouTube before any of you click on it, so you may have to go searching.
There were a lot of other great events. I think today was probably the most patriotic I've ever felt, and even the flaws in the day were what made it so great. I don't have a lot more hope in the good-naturedness of the American people, nor do I have much more hope that a politician can solve our problems. But it was still a great day.
Now, I'm really excited about the Lost season premiere tomorrow night. That is almost as cool to me as the election and inauguration have been in the last few months.
Lost is the only show I really watch on a regular basis. We'll see if I stick with it through this year now that I'm married, and Julie hasn't been watching it all along like I have (well I actually got caught up during Season 3).
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
These Are Good Times
Labels:
experiences,
lost,
Music,
obama,
patriotism,
politics,
Prayer,
Rick Warren,
thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
There's another link to the Beyonce video here, in case the YouTube one doesn't last.
I was definitely feeling the patriotism today..
So neat to think that God cares enough about the world to provide leadership (regardless of anyone's personal judgments or opinions) that will in turn to seek to care for its country to its best ability.
And I loved watching our new president express his desire to do that!
An incredible day to witness...
Post a Comment