hopeful So, as you all see, I disappeared for a month. My church, the Stirring, participated in a fast from noise for the month of November, called Vox Dei, which is Latin for “the Voice of God.” The point was to cut off all or a lot of entertainment in order to spend more time with God, and learn to hear what He had to say to us. I wasn’t planning on fasting myspace, but on the 2nd, I really met with God during chapel at school, and decided to go for it. I’m actually writing a chunk of this blog after
In honor of this being the first blog in weeks, and my 151st post, and the one that provided the 350th kudo, and the 10,000th blog view, it will contain elements of what my blog is--funniness, serious stuff, theology, and hope at the end. When I really started blogging in early April, I was in a life situation very similar to where I am right now. As in more similar than anyone will ever know, because there are some things I don't tell everyone about, and there are some things about me that I don't really tell anyone about, and I like having secrets with God. He makes me smile more than anyone else, so He deserves my secrets
Here are some things I’ve learned in the last month:
Not going on myspace isn’t all that hard to do. I logged on a few times, but just to check messages/comments.
Safeway gas stations are delightful little environmentally-friendly, wind-powered bundles of joy!
Cigars are OK
Wine is less OK, but I could learn to like it
Beer is OK, but I don’t really think it’s all that exciting, and I may never drink it again
Girls are OK, but my sister is awesome! (and prettier than everyone else too)
My guy friends are awesome, but my brother is awesomer! And he has a really cool guitar!
I can write songs
Damien Rice is alright ;)
So is Dave Matthews
Donald Miller is freakin’ amazing. I’ve only read the Author’s Note of Through Painted Deserts, and I already cried. And I was sitting on the toilet when it happened :)
Things I am seriously pondering:
I think I want to move to
I also have been really interested in relief work for quite some time, and I’m going on a missions trip to
I was at my home church’s Thanksgiving service, and I passed my sister a note that said it felt a bit like Garden State. I was at home seeing all these people I hadn’t seen in ages. Maybe it was more like
Tidbits:
I wrote a few songs and played a lot of piano and guitar while I was home for Thanksgiving. Christmas songs are the loveliest things one can play on the guitar. I also figured out some novel arrangements for some worship songs.
I've stated always writing my name as Joshua. I’ve decided that I’m going to use it as a reminder of the meaning, “the LORD saves.”
I’m going to be more fancy-free and try new things more frequently because our life on earth is ephemeral (yes, I used a thesaurus—it means brief or short-lived), and when you try new things, you find new passions. I tried a lot of new stuff while I was home for Thanksgiving, and while I didn’t enjoy most of those things, I finally like apple pie! I still don’t like any other pies (at least that I’ve had). Sometime in October, I tried green tea, and now I love it. I also am listening to a bunch of new music, which I got from my sister, because I realized that is legal, since we both are from the same household. There is the little issue about how she got all her music in the first place, but who’s checking? I’m not.
I want to be a renaissance man, and for being 21, I think I’m doing pretty well.
I saw some old people walking the other day, and I decided that when I’m 70 years old and I go for a walk with my wife, I am still going to hold her hand, because you never see old people holding hands, but they should.
I am going to just go all out and let my vocabulary flow through my writing. If my writing is loquacious, then just grab a dictionary.
I memorized Lamentations 3:19-24. It’s a powerful section and I am going to cling to it.
I hate myspace, it keeps erasing the second half of the blog, so I'll post it separately.
| Currently listening : Elevator By Hot Hot Heat Release date: 05 April, 2005 |
No comments:
Post a Comment