Tuesday, October 25, 2005

MySpace blog: The second attempt

Introduction: After talking with a friend, I would like to point out that this is my perspective, and that there are a number of correct perspectives (though there is only one correct Truth, to which those perspectives must be related). As I said in my theology class a couple weeks ago, "Because we are finite beings, we cannot fully grasp an infinite God," but because we are each created uniquely, we will each understand a different portion of God, and maybe by sharing our unique perspectives, we will each more fully understand our infinite God.

Let me re-phrase the issue of sin and worship in simple language. In Physics, when things slow down (decelerate), it is still called acceleration. In Economics, regardless of if you receive money (credit) or pay money (debit), you are still dealing in money.

In the economy of God's worth, whether we are adding to the worth we place in God or subtracting from it, we are still dealing with a statement of worth. Since the definition of worship is essentially "a statement of worth," then we are dealing with worship in a positive or negative sense.

Worship should not just be looked at as placing worth in something. Worship should be looked at as a statement of how much that thing is worth. Therefore, that statement can be positive or negative.

Why is worship a statement? Because we are humans. Because we are finite. We need to compare things to other things. That is part of being human. We have no way of speaking about things without using words associated with other things. Comparison is all we are capable of. Therefore, worship must be comparison. The correct way to worship is to say that God is worth more than everything. One song we sing simply says, "Your love is better than anything and everything, Jesus." The whole point of the book of Hebrews is that Jesus is better than everything. However, we often live as though other things are more important.

Really, I am getting at what the word worship means. This issue is only an issue because "worship" has lost its original English meaning and has picked up a Christianese meaning that is incomplete. Worship is a statement/proclamation of worth. By sinning, I am automatically making a statement that God is worth less than something. If I lust, then God is worth less than the feeling I get from a girl. If I covet, then God is worth less than my desire for say, a guitar. If I lie, then God is worth less than my own sense of security.

There is such a thing as right worship of God and there is such a thing as wrong worship of God.

This thought has revolutionized my life over the last 6 months. If it doesn't help you, then don't fight it, just ignore it. I'll admit, I was intentionally vague in the first blog in an attempt to stir the pot. I hope this makes more sense.

In response to Bethany's comment, I agree with the heart of what she was saying, but not necessarily the wording itself. In fact, I take back what I said about sin being good on some level (if you'll allow me to do that). I was hurriedly writing and not thinking. I'll get to that later. God created everything, so He must have created evil (He is responsible for its existence on some level). We have talked about this quite a bit in a few classes I've taken here at Simpson. However, He did not create sin. Rather, God created the possibility for sin to occur. Therefore, sin does not have to be good.

However, He uses evil/sin for His own good, somehow. Most people would say that He does not cause the evil to happen, but if God is truly sovereign, and truly omniscient, then He must be responsible for each sin (on some level).

That does not change the fact that we are fully responsible for our own sins. God can predestine everything, and we can choose everything on our own.

Yes, I know this makes no sense to our finite minds, but we do not serve a finite God. My God is infinite. My God is different than humanity.

As Karl Barth said, there is a "strange new world within the Bible," that is different than our own, logical world. When we follow the traces God has left us with the minds He gave us, we see that it makes absolutely no sense. That's what theology should do--it should cause us to embrace the otherness of God and delight in His mystery.

P.S. I'm still sick, and i hate it.

Currently listening :
Parachutes
By Coldplay
Release date: 07 November, 2000

No comments: