Saturday, April 23, 2005

Myspace blog: Downtown Redding Again--the wind

Last night was cool. I went downtown with Eric, Bethany, Erika, and Sarah, and we were going to go to Breaking New Grounds, so we parked at the old downtown mall and walked around it to the coffee shop, but there was a country dude playing, so we sat outside.

There was a storm brewing. Gusts of wind blew signs and chairs away. The big downtown trees danced in the wind. The twilight sky was overcast, the streets deserted. Dust devils swirled and the Green lights of the intersection pierced through the growing darkness.

The country music and absence of people in a downtown setting created the feeling of a disaster movie. As I looked up Pine Street, I saw a banner suspended over the road, blowing in the wind. I started running toward the intersection in slow motion and yelled, "MARIA!!!"

I don't know any Maria's, I just thought it was a cool name for the disaster movie's hero's girl. Too bad we didn't have a video camera.

We went to Bogbean's bookstore, and I bought a collection of Shakespeare for $8. Then, we went to the big train bridge near Caldwell Park, and climbed the hill to the top of the northern end. You can see a lot from up there. It started to drizzle, as we descended to the park, and went to see if Bethany's brother's band was still playing. They weren't, since it was late, and the rain was coming down pretty well by now. But it was warm rain. We went under the Benton Dr. bridge and ran up the curved supports, then slid down on our feet. Then, we went to Jamba (that's 4 this week for me...It's because they really put heroin in the boosts, so I'm addicted). Then, I made a really cool MySpace profile for the Simpson Cafeteria, and spiffed up the Stirring Group page.

No comments: