Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mustard Seed Part 2: The Kingdom of Heaven is like a weed

Click to enlarge

This is part 2 of my Mustard Seed posts. Yesterday, I was over at my parents' house, picking up a rivet gun for a little electrical project I had to do at church with my friend, Eric. I got out of my truck and noticed there was a little mustard plant growing in the rocks in front of their house.
Here's a picture I took with my phone:

You can see that there is a small yellow area at the top, in the middle of the plant. That's where the flower (and eventually the seed), will develop. This stuff just sprouts up wildly and randomly.

There were 2 more little sprouts nearby.

The first lesson to be learned from Jesus' parable is that mustard is a weed.

The kingdom of heaven is like a weed. It sprouts up wherever, seemingly without organization. It isn't planted in neat, orderly rows. It starts off in all sorts of places, as a plant or two, here and there.

Stay tuned for more facts about mustard, more pictures, and more of my thoughts on what exactly it means for the kingdom of heaven to be like mustard.

No comments: