Monday, May 18, 2009

Creativity/Media stuff and me...currently

I used to call myself "an aspiring renaissance man" on my "about me" section on myspace. That was because I was trying to learn how to do so much media stuff while I was in college.

Now I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of a few useful things. I've been working at the print shop for about 9 months, and that time is coming to an end. My bosses needed to hire someone who could mostly focus on helping them run the business side of things and do some part time graphics (which is very, very part time because of the economy). Thankfully, the day they told me this, was also the same day Chris (the Youth Pastor at our church) was interviewing for a new job. After a few weeks of waiting, I learned that yes, I will be going full time at church as the Associate Pastor on July 1 (my title changed as of last Tuesday). It is weird to have that title.

So, for the past month and the next two months, I'm in this transition period. I'm not really working at the print shop much--just when they get backed up. I told them I wouldn't really be available after July 1.

Also, I have had a bunch of wedding videos piled up to edit. I just finished one, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

My mom mentioned to Kara--a webdesigner in our church--that I do webdesign, and she contacted me and asked if I could help her out a little. So I just made some pages for a website she's in the middle of re-doing. These are the first pages I've done for anyone else.

Last week, I also started using Reason again. Reason is a computer music program. I love making electronica. I worked on some loops/tracks for songs for church.

I haven't done this yet, so I'm going to do it on my blog. Here's a list of programs I've used in the last week. Adobe: Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, Encore, Soundbooth, and Bridge (which barely counts). And Propellerhead Reason.

I have a lot of creative energy right now. Mostly it's being used on work. I miss the days of being creative just for fun (pre-printshop, pre-junior college, pre-media job at Alliance Redwoods). Back in those days, I edited pictures soon after I took them. I made music a lot--I even wrote songs. I blogged more too (sorry).

So, hopefully I will be better about keeping margin in my life in some form so that I have time to be creative and take joy in it, instead of making money out of it.

1 comment:

Andrew Ratiani said...

you should definitely write more songs. and we should do them at church. hey, maybe in one of your songs i'll finally find the inspiration for a song of my own. you have such a creative mind. that is one of your qualities i admire. josh the level to which you reflect our Creator is admirable and inspiring.