It's forced me to think. It's led me to passages I haven't read in a long time. It's made me use my mind to investigate how well I have things thought-out.
But, I also highly value the church as a body. So, I pay attention to what other Christians are thinking and saying. I recently came across this:
There is no issue in the Bible of greater importance than the identity of the one who died for us to be our Savior -- Jesus Christ. We must therefore be sure that we are accepting Jesus for who He really is, because if we are not, we are following a false Christ (2 Cor. 11:4,13). Therefore, we will examine the biblical evidence that Jesus Christ is not only fully man, but also fully God.
1. There always has been and always will be only one true God.
2. There is no Savior of the world except for this one true God.
3. Therefore, the Savior of the world must be the one true God.
The above quote is taken from this site, where the author's discussion continues for a few more paragraphs.
The author also further discusses the misuse of Greek translation by JW "scholars."
The existence of the New World Translation further illustrates the need for scholars who disagree with each other to work on translations. This prevents one group's theology from hijacking the intent of the Holy Spirit in the translation process.
But, poor scholarship aside, I want to focus on the main thing: Jesus is God.
Although Jesus never said, "I am God," he pretty much did.
A number of times, people said, "You are God," or something to that effect (e.g.) John 10:33. Jesus, even if he's just a good teacher, would have clearly denied that if it wasn't the case. But he never did.
More significantly, Jesus claimed to be God in a way that was plain as day to the Jewish audience he was speaking to. Check it out in John 8:57-59:
57"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"
58"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
Obviously, undoubtedly, irrefutably (by anyone who approaches this passage without bias) Jesus is claiming to be "I AM." In Exodus 3:14, God reveals that His name is "I AM."I love that name. I love the rich meaning within it. I won't go into it here, because it's kind of off-topic. Maybe later.
The point is that we know God's name is "I AM." In John 8:58, Jesus says, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
It takes either a serious abuse or lack of logic to miss the point that Jesus claimed to be God. Often pre-conceived notions of who Jesus is and isn't fuel these abuses of logic.
1 comment:
wow, zero comments. (now one.) apparently Jehovah's witnesses find verses in the bible that contradict their doctrine hard to argue with.
so do i, thats why i challenge my traditions from time to time. it always sucks when i find them, but it pays off in the end. hooray for orthodoxy. (or what it more literally translates to. hooray for right doctrine.)
thanks for sharing this.
Post a Comment