Monday, August 29, 2005

MySpace blog: llleeehhhh!! part 2

The original "llleeehhhh!!" blog was written about my week starting on Wednesday, but it got erased, so here it is.

Wednesday, we had a party for all the Wednesday night home groups in celebration of the end of the summer. I can already tell that this version of this blog is not going to be nearly as witty, funny, or interesting as the original, which sucks, because it's going to be really long.

After a joyous evening of creating whirlpools, playing full contact 3-flies up, and eating delectable burgers and dogs, someone decided to play marco polo, so we had 14 people playing and 2 people hanging out in a pretty small pool. Eric was Mr. Polo at one point, and Steve "Pastor Steve" Swinburne didn't want to get tagged, so he pushed me forward (we were treading water in the deep end), just as Eric reached out to tag Steve (Steve was trying to draw attention to himself because he was holding me to make sure that I'd be it next). What followed was one of the scariest moments in my life, as Eric's finger seemingly was thrust into my eyeball, completely popping it.

For a time I couldn't see anything, then I could see haziness, and whitish film and I felt some soft lens on my eyelashes. Surely, I would forever be known as one-eyed-josh. That sounds like the name of a fine drinking establishment. Quite honestly, I do believe that the sound the eye made was "llleeehhhh!!"

About 30 seconds later, I figured out that my contact was just on my eyelashes. Miraculously, it hadn't fallen to the bottom of the pool. Maybe not miraculously after all, because of what I discovered later regarding my eye. I put the contact back in and just sat out for the rest of the night.

Thursday, at work, I told Rich, the director of enrollment, about my eye injury, and he suggested I get it checked by a doctor. That night, I called my mom (between listening to Nothing Is Sound over and over--right as I wrote "Nothing Is Sound," I got to the part of the CD where he sings that line 7 times), and told her that my cell phone was working some of the time now. On Monday, I had left it in my pants when I did the laundry, and it didn't recover as well as it did the first time I drowned my phone. While on the phone with my mom, she too advised me to get my eye examined. Also, my eye had begun to hurt by the end of the day. Since my HMO doesn't cover anything in Redding, I had to drive to Santa Rosa, which Eric and I had wanted to do on Friday anyway, but I had forgotten to ask if I could have it off.

So, Thursday night, I called in sick for work Friday, and we headed out (Eric drove). We left around 8:30 and got home at 12:30 (we stopped a couple times and went back the long way). Eric just stayed at my house, then went home in the morning.

Friday morning, I went to the Doctor (not the Optometrist, because I would have to be referred to the Optometrist by the Family Physician I was seeing). The Doctor put a yellow dye in my eye, which was cool because everything looked normal through my right eye, and yellow-tinted through the left one. He turned off the room lights and shined a black light in my eye. He let my mom look, and she described what my eye looked like. She said my eyeball appeared yellow and the veins were black, but there was a little fingernail shaped scratch towards the bottom that showed up as white (the dye didn't get in it, so it really showed under the black light).

I have a Corneal abrasion, which means no contacts for 7 days and antibiotic eyedrops 4x a day until Friday. If I'm not better by Friday, I have to go back to SR, which is costly, given gas prices. As of today, I can see the scratch, because the rest of my eye isn't as red, and only the scratch appears red.

My laptop screen is so bright (this is the second time I've looked at it since that fateful night) that i have to keep my left eye closed as i type, due to the sensitivity and fatigue caused by the scratch.
I'm realizing how much I want to rub my eyes, because I can't do it for awhile. I miss my contacts because although my glasses "look cool" according to many people, the prescription isn't as strong as it should be, so some stuff is blurry, and the problem is amplified by the low lighting of evenings.

Friday, after my eye appointment, my mom and I met up with my dad for lunch at the BBQ where I worked for a couple weeks last summer. It still is really, really good. Then we went and got a new cell phone for me. I had to manually transfer all my phone book people, which made me thankful that I didn't have a lot of people's numbers in there.

On Saturday, Eric and I went to IKEA and I spent $380. I got a couch, a slip cover for the couch, a coffee table (which I'm using as a TV stand for the old TV I brought back from SR. Eric's Nintendo lives on the table, too), a spotlight for my bookshelf, and 2 sets of curtains that will go on the walls and on my closet where the doors are supposed to be. I was going to take a picture of my front/entry area as it now is, but I still haven't unpacked all my stuff, so my room is pretty messy. Once I'm settled, I'll put some pics up. I'm slow at unpacking, but I got a decent bit done tonight.

llleeehhhh!! That time I said it instead of saying, "anyway..." because I'm getting back to the story of my life as of late. so...

llleeehhhh!!, we got back to Redding around 8:30 on Saturday night, and I had to do some setting up of things, so I got to bed at about midnight, and I got up at 6:30 to be at church at 7, because the Stirring team was leading Sunday morning at Risen King. I ended up on my couch, and I didn't get to church until 7:25, so it was a good thing that I actually wasn't supposed to be there until 7:30. The first service was...well Nate said, when we got off the stage, "That was the worst train-wreck I've ever been a part of." We all (including Nate) thought it was really awkward, but not that bad. The whole team was confused about why it wasn't bad, since everything seemed to go wrong (I think the idiom "roll with the punches" applies). Of course, everyone told us it was a really great time of worship. The second service went really well and sounded really good, too. Or so we thought. Eric told me that our guitars sounded really crappy because of some bad sound-teching. oh well. I guess God wanted to remind us that it's not about us.

I came home and took a nap. Thankfully, I wasn't leading worship (Kevin, our drummer, was). I just had to show up and play electric. Since Kenny, the normal electric player, was playing drums, I didn't have to worry about overplaying, so I had fun. Old School. I'm really looking forward to September 18th. If you've been a part of the Stirring for a long time, you'll definitely want to be there. Of course, you should be there every week, since it's important to keep meeting together, and if you're going to take the effort to hear about my life on myspace, come worship when I'm leading, so that you can be active in the blog.

My eye hurts bad. So, I'm just going to say that Monday went by pretty quickly. I'm going to shower, then put in my eyedrops then get some shut-eye.
llleeehhhhh!! abrupt ending.

Currently listening :
Nothing Is Sound
By Switchfoot
Release date: 13 September, 2005

No comments: