Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Bridges

Tonight, I went for a walk at the Sundial Bridge at around 10:30. It was really foggy, and for most of the time I was there, I was the only person on the entire bridge. It was peaceful, but haunting. By haunting, I mean I had that feeling that something was behind me. Also, my greatest fear is being under or on a bridge during an earthquake.

I stared upwards at the mist, as the water condensed on the suspension cables, and huge drops plummeted towards my face. The spotlights shimmered off each drop, as it descended ever more quickly through the night air.

I was inspired to write a song, but it came out more like a poem. I'm not going to explain the meaning of this poem, because art's meaning should be left to the observer, I think. I will say, though, that this is not about a girl. I guess it could be on one level, but there is an allegorical meaning far deeper, that you'll just have to figure out. I started to write, and some things came out that weren't how I felt when I was there, but some were, so here it is:

The Bridge

Strolling through the fog,
Wading in the cold,
He walks across a bridge
Waiting here alone

Mist forms into drops
Falling from the sky
From suspension cables
The bridge cuts ‘cross the night.

Lights shine from the bridge
Piercing through the mist
He walks alone, supposing
Dreaming of a tryst

He wonders to himself,
Longing for embrace,
Why is he feeling haunted?
What entity doth chase?

But consciously, he sighs
Knowing his true fate
For it seems he shares his haunting
With each inspired great

“O longing, yearning heart
Tormented, haunted mind
Press ye ever forward
Your muse follows behind.”

The thing that drives him forward
Through the misty night
Yea, that which is his muse
Is the very same fright

“O haunted heart, keep fleeing
For one day you shall see
Your haunting muse has perished
You are finally free!”

He steps onto the land
Here on the northern side
He steps out of the dark
He steps into the light

He turns around and look
Back across the sky
The density of vapor
Obscures the other side

___________

Side note (related to last blog): I plan on never watching a horror movie, because, as anyone else who has experienced demonic stuff would agree, that is one of the most dangerous, real things one can do.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Josh, I really enjoy reading what you write. You definitely have a way with words that grabs the reader's attention. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.