I found these 2 great articles on relevantmagazine.com You may have already read them.
They say a lot of things I already believe in, with a lot of evidence/examples I was unaware of.
The first is about the difference between charity and justice. This is an issue I am passionate about. Most of American society is currently into charity. I disagree with the article when it says we need to be about charity along with justice, because I define justice differently.
I think that meeting immediate needs is part of justice. Justice from a Christian perspective boils down to "Love your neighbor as yourself," (while the twin value of righteousness boils down to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength."). So, I believe that we, as Christians need to be living from a place of meeting immediate needs and solving long-term problems.
And, we need to be doing so in a way that requires sacrifice.
This next article deals with the issue that our consumerism and our belief in justice seem to be running into each other. This is not a good place to stay. We need to live justice-filled lives because we believe that Jesus loves our neighbor as much as he loves us. It also features interviews with Donald Miller, Shane Claiborne, and Tony Campolo, so of course there's great stuff in there.
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
2 really good articles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
did you read about that river story somewhere else a while ago? because i feel like you have told me that story before.
Post a Comment