Friday, March 14, 2008

On why I'm eating a Quesadilla even though I'm lactose intolerant

This is amazing. I seriously feel kind of emotional about it.

For the first time in 2 years, I am eating a quesadilla. I used to love quesadillas. I don't make very good ones. But every day after school all through High School, I would come home, put some shredded cheese in a tortilla and microwave it.

For a long time, it was the only "meal" I could cook.

Then I became lactose intolerant around the beginning of my senior year of college.

Recently my friends James and Weslie told me about lactose-free string cheese at Safeway. It's made by Precious, which is the famous string cheese brand.

People who are lactose intolerant do not produce the lactase enzyme, which breaks lactose down into the simple sugars glucose and sucrose. So to make a dairy product lactose-free, they just put the lactase in the milk. I hope that companies start offering more products this way.

The cool thing is that when the lactase enzyme breaks down the lactose, those sugars are left, so it is naturally sweetened. They could make healthier ice cream this way! Come on companies, do something. It's been at least a year and a half since I had ice cream, and I want it!

Of course, one problem is that my quesadilla now has mozzarella cheese on it, so it kind of tastes like pizza. But that's OK, Simpson used to make all of their quesadillas with mozzarella, so I'm kind of used to it.

And, I haven't really been able to enjoy pizza for a few years, so this kind of makes up for that.

After a couple bites...it's kind of sweet, but I'm OK with that.

3 comments:

Trevor said...

Yeah, I feel ya on the lactose intolerant thing. I had a pizza one night, and thought I was going to die, and my life has never been the same. Anyways, I've heard that you should always consume a small amount of things containing lactose because if you don't, if it ends up in something you eat, you'll get horribly sick. Ask Mello. I think he told me. But yeah, I still eat cheese in moderation.

Unknown said...

I wish I could eat it in moderation. Even moderation leaves me with not-so-moderate violently painful reactions.

Trevor said...

That sucks. Ever try ex-lax? I've never tried it myself, but heard it works for some.