Monday, April 14, 2008

Absolutes and Relativism--the second level of understanding

A few weeks ago, I wrote about how we have 2 levels of understanding. First we understand concepts or ideas that are true. Next, we see that 2 seemingly separate ideas are intimately tied together, which I called the second level of understanding.

At this point, we see that these 2 ideas are at odds, but rely on each other to be true. Within Christianity, we see such paradoxes as Faith & Works, Grace & Justice, and Love & Wrath.

Over the last 2 days, I have become aware of another paradox. Most people used to believe in absolutes. Now, people usually believe in relativism, where everything is true, depending on whose opinion it is. Personally, I believe in a system that is most like Einstein's theory of relativity. In this system, everything is true, but ultimately must be compared with the opinion of Him who bears the most weight--God. That opinion is absolute, and all other things may or may not be true when compared to His opinion, which is fact.

What I have come to realize yesterday and today, is that, as Christians, our own opinions are both relative and absolute. If God (who is absolute) lives within and through us, then what we say bears some absolute authority. However, as finite humans, our own statements are also relative. That means what we say is in paradox.

Everything we say is in paradox. Conversations, letters, e-mails, blog entries, text messages.

Every word you speak is relative and true only in your opinion, but also spoken by one who has the authority of God in your life. I am realizing that is why there are so many references in the New Testament about taming the tongue.

_____________________________

When it comes to blogging, I prefer to write in such a way as to get my thoughts out unfiltered. The point is to bear witness to what is going on in my head in a given moment. Yeah, that means I sometimes say stupid things that are immortalized online. You might wonder why I don't erase them, if I really believe in taming my tongue.

I don't erase because what I said was what I was thinking. Authenticity is one of the most highly valued things in our world today, especially among our generation. That means that I need to show my own faults and make it known to the entire world that "I AM HUMAN!"

Also, leaving mistakes in my blogs shows progress. Progression of thought, progression of grammar and syntax, progression of life.

Lastly, if anyone were to copy my blog and keep a record of what I originally wrote, and then I edited it to make it more pleasing and less controversial, I would not have much integrity, would I? Rather than attempting to undo what has already been done, I want everyone who reads what I write or hears what I say to know that while I am speaking with authority, I am also speaking relative truth. The stuff I say is in one sense only my own thoughts, and if you disagree with what I think, that is fine. And, if you are offended by anything I write, then I apologize for it.

My goal is to be a lifelong learner. As such, it is important for everyone who is involved in my life to see how much I've grown up, that we all might have a better idea of just how much farther I have to go. That's why I never retract statements. Maybe I made a mistake, but of course I don't believe in it anymore, that's why I called it a mistake!

So keep track of me. Give me grace and watch me make mistakes. Those mistakes are there. They're things I did that cannot be removed from history. I want to be authentic. I value integrity.

The road is narrow, and sometimes I step off the path, but I will keep going forward and not go back to cover my tracks. Let's run this race.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Imua! Press on!