Sunday, April 27, 2008

Processing discouragement

Last week, I was feeling really discouraged, as I mentioned before. I realized the essence of my discouragement a few days before we left. I know what God has given to me as my calling. I think people think, "Oh, that guy is called to ministry." But that's not the whole truth. We're all called to ministry, of course.

But for me, I'm not just called to ministry, I have been given a zeal, passion and desire for a certain message, and for a certain method.

What frustrates me is when people disagree with that, even though I've been placed in leadership. I know what God is showing me to do, and it pisses me off when people don't embrace change. Now, there is great value in tradition, but doing things just because they make you happy is a terrible reason.

Do something intentional for the Kingdom of God, and instead of finding happiness, you will find joy. So, you should totally do things you enjoy, but if you don't try new stuff, how are you going to know that you're currently doing the thing that is the most joyful?

So anyway, I think I've been discouraged because I want to do new things, and it's hard to get people to join me in those things sometimes. It makes me want to be a part of something like the Stirring again, where it's more accepted to change.

However, I know that God wants me in a multi-generational church, because He has really convicted me of the fact that the church is meant to be eclectic, and that means diverse in as many senses possible--age, race, sex, background, hobby, job...

_________________________________

I believe that biblical leadership is quite simple.

1. Know your vision
2. Communicate your vision: This means telling people what you're about. If they like it, they will follow you, if not, then tell them to follow someone else. It is so obvious that Jesus told more people to leave Him than to follow Him. That is what He says after He tells the parable of the sower (He says He did it to confuse the people).
3. Expect some people to leave: Not everyone is meant to follow you
4. Expect some people to stay with you: The people that stay will be effective partners, and not just lukewarm followers, but passionate disciples.
5. Expect more people to join you as they see the excitement in the lives of their friends.

So, I believe in that, but if it feels like no one wants to stay with you, it gets really discouraging. And that is why I was so down for a two week period.

I really look up to Francis Chan. He has a reputation for telling the truth so honestly that people leave. I love it.

But I was feeling really discouraged a few days ago, because I want to do things biblically, and like the men I look up to.

Speak truth. Kick people's butts if need be.

When you kick someone's butt, one of two things happens. Either, they start moving, or they get angry and leave. That's what you have to do though, to get lazy people (which I am one of) to start moving.

Let's run this race.

No comments: