Saturday, July 26, 2008

Appendix update

I haven't blogged in a couple days about my appendectomy recovery. Things have been very up and down.

Thursday I improved a lot. As the day went on, I got better and better. Then, Friday I pushed myself too hard.

It was my birthday. I laughed. I rode in a car. I ate greasy Chinese food. I had a surprise party, and people bumped into me and did things that made me flinch in tiny ways that are barely noticeable usually, but when you have an injury, they really hurt (e.g. Josh Mello tickling my foot or someone walking past me and brushing against the chair, or someone walking past and just shaking the floor enough with their steps).

So Friday got worse and worse unfortunately. Not a great way to spend your birthday. I think if I had a graph of my pain level on Thursday and Friday, it would be a V. The right side of the V would only be about 80% of the height of the left side.

Today, though was awesome. Like Thursday, I got better and better. I am going to attempt leading worship tomorrow. We will see if I make it the whole way. Holding a guitar is a little painful. The guitar is either heavy (when I'm standing up), or resting right on my incision (when I'm sitting down). At this point I'm leaning towards the standing up option. It still is pushing against my incision, and holding up anything, let alone a heavy electric guitar, is pretty painful on my abdomen right now. But I think it will be manageable based on how I am feeling today.

I assume I will get a little bit worse throughout the day tomorrow because pushing myself did that yesterday, while sitting around and doing nothing was really good for me on Thursday and today.

1 comment:

mello~ said...

what about standing up, with the guitar perched on a stool? almost like a sideways cello/bass stand...?

sorry about that foot stroke.