Friday, July 08, 2005

MySpace blog: O Sweet Nectar

This blog is about one of the greatest things on God's green earth. You know what's amazing, is that this little treat actually can truly fulfill the saying in the title, along with the saying in the first sentence. That's right, this blog is about Guava juice.

But, first, let me set the stage.

Today was the climax of dorm life. At least, it was one of them. Actually, it was one of the climaxes of living with people. One of the crucial parts of living with people is the constant tension between clean people and dirty people. This tension is caused by the fact that no two people share the exact same standards for cleanliness. Growing up, I lived with one of the cleanest people on the planet--my mom. Now, my mom's room is slightly cluttered, but ours never were allowed to be. And there was not a place in our house where mold, mildew, or bacteria would grow, because we fully cleaned it once a week (at least) and she would vacuum multiple times a week and usually have us do some vacuuming, too.

Since I've been at Simpson, I've had 5 roommates. 4 of them were dirtier than me. Aaron St. Peter and I were actually about the same. So, I guess it is possible to have someone be as clean as you. Except, I was more cluttered, and he was less hygienic. That tends to be the case--I'm not a neat freak, but I am a germ freak. This summer, I'm living with Chris, who's the least concerned with neatness of anyone I've had as a roommate. Even Chris, though, is upset by the state of our bathroom, and often complains about the grass and dirt and clothes that our suitemate, Tucker, brings in and leaves in the bathroom. I'm always perplexed, because our floor looks quite similar, with Chris' clothes, shoes, and oatmeal scattered about.

So I've been getting a little frustrated with Chris. And when I get mad, I clean. I had already decided to devote this afternoon and evening to laundry and cleaning because I've been at peoples' houses every other night this week besides Sunday and Tuesday (the Stirring and worship team practice). Oh, I gave myself another haircut tonight too. It was a lot quicker--I'm getting better at it. So, by the time I was ready to clean, I was in the mood to clean (which for me means I have to be a little ticked off). I have been the only cleaner of the bathroom (as far as I can tell) all summer. I tried to let the bathroom deteriorate in order to provoke someone else to clean it, but I couldn't last long enough. SOMETHING HAD TO BE DONE NOW! I had cleaned the toilet a bit, and the shower kind of, but tonight, o tonight, I killed many little bacteria and fungi. We don't currently have a toilet brush, so the inside of the toilet's still less than satisfactory, but I shall remedy that situation soon. Chris got motivated to do something, so he cleaned the mirror that I had already cleaned. Thanks for helping! He also grabbed a plastic bag and put Tucker's pile of dirty clothes in it. The pile of clothes usually sits on a chair in the bathroom and enrages Chris and me (and Trevor? post a comment, let us know). So, Chris put the clothes in a bag, and grabbed my sharpie. On the bag, he wrote, "Hamper," and on the second line, "get one." I agree. I said we should put a sign above the chair where he puts his clothes that says, "Salvation Army clothes collection pile." The idea is that any clothing stays on the chair for 48 consecutive hours or more, it will be confiscated and donated for resale in a thrift store.

All of this cleaning gave me one more thing to add to my list of things that would be nice. I have a list in my head, but I'm going to write it in my journal after I'm done with this blog, since I've been meaning to for a fortnight, which is 2 weeks, for you young people. This list contains the things I'm looking for in a girl. It has 2 parts--the necessary things and the things which would be nice. The latter list includes things like skills and certain looks. I feel like Napoleon Dynamite, but I'm serious about the skills (it's things like cooking, singing, instruments, coffee, etc.) Now, I'm adding something to the second list. Well, actually, it's kind of between the lists; it's somewhat important, but not as important as the essentials. This special item is the need/want for a girl who has the same level of cleanliness as me. Obviously, I don't want her to be less clean than me, and if she is too clean, that would mean that I'd never live up to her expectations. Now hiring?

Note:
if you find the list idea stupid, everything Christian that I've read about relationships, and all the Christian relationship seminars I've been to say that making a list is a really good idea, because marriage needs to be about commitment, not just love/sex. And, since dating should be about marriage, you should have a list so you know what kind of person you're committing to. I've been to so many stinkin' dating seminars or camps and youth conferences that talked about it. And my mom made my sister and me read books on dating. Oddly, I'm almost 21 and have never had a girlfriend, which is mostly a result of my strong conviction that dating needs to be about marriage. And it's a result of my making a list and then being terrified whenever a girl comes along who meets the criteria. And it's a result of believing that God speaks about all important things, so I don't need to search and date/sleep/kiss/fool around. That was a rabbit trail. But, it explains why I'm not going to the Stirring retreat next weekend, which is designed to teach people how to date and such in a Godly way. A lot of people need that, but I grew up in a good family and youth group that have already brainwashed me. Thanks mom and dad.

OK, here's what the blog is supposedly about. After I finished cleaning, I took a shower and headed to Safeway. I needed some more groceries, and I was going to get more trash bags because I thought we were out (I forgot to get them, which was good, because I found more later). I had planned on going to Coldstone or Starbucks afterward, but while I was getting lettuce, I realized I really wanted Guava juice. I love that stuff so much, and I love Passion-Orange-Guava (POG) juice a lot, too. I drank a whole gallon of one of those, plus other juices such as pineapple in less than a week the last time I visited my Grandma in Hawaii. That is not a good thing to do to your intestines. I've had 2 pretty good sized cups of Guava juice and I want more. I have to be up early tomorrow for the memorial service, and it's now 12:12, so maybe I should just make my list and go to bed. Wow, I've been writing this blog for 35 minutes already. That's quite some time. Sudden ending.

Currently listening :
Live 2003 (CD & DVD)
By Coldplay
Release date: 04 November, 2003

No comments: